Saturday, October 4, 2014

I Promise To Rise


As I lie here in my bed
thinking on a  life that never was
reality begins to escape me
while loathing in my self disgust

Are my tears so unworthy
and my cries unable to be heard
that my time in this prison
has stolen the meaning from my words

Because no one can hear my voice
not hidden deep inside my heart
and if my emotions were what held me together
I'm afraid I would fall apart

But I am held together by something stronger
my mind is a foundation of concrete
for if I had to depend solely on my heart
I would remain in this utter defeat

Although I may be badly beaten now 
once again I promise to rise
and my heart will not ever again
be responsible for a tear from my eye.

written by George Lynch
while at Mayo Correctional Institution 

No comments:

Post a Comment